Monday, January 25, 2010

MELO WERE VERY UNITED


Felipe Melo: We're very united
(FIFA.com) Monday 25 January 2010
Many Brazilians were surprised when Felipe Melo received his first international call-up last year. Yet, within months, no less an authority than Argentina coach Diego Maradona was hailing the midfielder as one of world football's biggest revelations.
It has been a long journey to international stardom for the Juventus player. After starting his career in 2001 with a two-year stint at Flamengo, followed by shorter spells at Cruzeiro and Gremio, Melo made the move to Spain. Failing to make much of an impact at Mallorca or Racing Santander, he eventually shone in a midfield holding role with Almeria. His success there earned him a move to Fiorentina, and after catching Dunga’s eye, his career took another upward turn when he signed for Juventus in 2009.
FIFA.com caught up with the 26-year-old and spoke to him about his long road to the top, his hopes of booking a place at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ with Brazil, and how it feels to earn the praise of Maradona.
FIFA.com: Felipe, do you think the path your career has taken has helped you tackle the challenges you have faced along the way?Felipe Melo: I was only 20 when I left Brazil and joined Mallorca from Gremio. I didn’t do much in Brazilian football apart from scoring the goal that saved Flamengo from relegation one year [in a vital Brasileirao match against Internacional]. That made me a little more famous at the time. I went to Europe soon after and, being a foreigner, I had to learn lots of new things like the language and customs. It’s a different type of football too, and I had to take lots of tactical and disciplinary aspects on board. It was very difficult and maybe that’s why it took me a little time to come through.What was the biggest difference when you moved to Italy from Spain?I was at Racing Santander for two years and really suffered there until I went to Almeria, where Unai Emery [the current Valencia coach] gave me a lot of help. I really progressed with him and by the time I went to Fiorentina I’d earned much more respect. That was a far bigger shop window. I was playing regularly in a team that was going for the European places and I was developing a lot from a tactical point of view. That all helped me make the Brazil team.

If I can make it, it will make me very proud to be able to sit down and tell

No comments:

Post a Comment